Friday, October 8, 2010

Chicago Marathon Eve Eve

OK kids, Sunday is the big day. The day I've been preparing for and training for since May. Actually, I've been mentally preparing for this since early March. And it was approximately one year ago that we started our move to Chicago and saw the marathon run through our neighborhood. Yes, the Chicago Marathon is here! I'm about to embark on my 26.2 mile tour of Chicago with 45,000 other people. It's a flat course, but I'm sure there will be many highs and lows during my 4+ hour run.

Before I run, I'd like to thank a few people that have helped me on my journey of becoming a marathon runner.



First up is my incredible husband, John. Throughout my months of training he encouraged me, followed me on my long training runs on bike, made me do PT for my knees, and reminded me to eat protein after my runs. While I was out on runs he made many of my lunches to take to work and many of our dinners. He put up with me when I complained about aches and pains and hung out with me on the weekends when I just wanted to sit home and watch movies.

This picture was from our first half marathon in St. Louis. We trained for and ran that race together and I wish he was able to run this first marathon with me. He was supposed to be running a marathon last January, but injured his knee in the process. He's finally feeling better and has started to run again. Maybe I'll be able to train with him during his marathon debut, whenever that is.


Hal Higdon
Next up is my pseudo-coach Hal Higdon. Hal doesn't know it yet, but we're on a first name basis. He has a great website with every running tip in the book, as well as a plethora of training programs. From the 5K all the way up to ultra marathons. I followed his Novice 1 marathon training program and it's definitely worked out for me. Running 4 times a week is perfect. He also has advice and encouragement for each week of training. I trusted his program and I'm confident the training will serve me well on Sunday.

Jess
Jess is my (mostly) morning running buddy. She's my first friend in Chicago and we bonded over running. I began following her blog before moving to Chicago and met her in person at one of her trunk shows at Macy's. At first we considered getting together over coffee or wine, but I finally suggested going running together. She's run a few marathons, so I thought she would be game. Now we meet up for morning, afternoon, and/or weekend runs and discuss life and our dreams. She's not running the marathon this year, but will be volunteering at the water station at mile 10.5.



K is my running friend from work. My cube is next to hers and I was a little awestruck when I started my new job. Her cube walls are covered in marathon race courses. K was the one that really encouraged me to sign up for the marathon, knowing that I was going to have four half marathons under my belt by the time the marathon rolled around. She's running Chicago again this year and she just finished Boston in this picture, which is huge in the running world! We've only run together once, but we talk about training and running all the time at work. And let's not forget our mutual love of cupcakes. It's a good thing we run so much.



And last, but not least, is my family. Thoughout my childhood, college, and even now, they cheered at my races, swim meets, and soccer games. This is a picture of all of us after the St. Louis half marathon this spring. Somtimes I think they're even more excited for the marathon than me. They're coming to Chicago to cheer for me and had matching shirts made for the race. I'll be sure to post a picture after the race :)

Well, that's about it. I'm going to the expo this afternoon to pick up my race packet (yay!) and I'll be sure to post all about the race once it's over. Good luck to all of the other runners! It's going to be a great race!
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the shout out! And of course, you are going to rock it. If you can run 20 at 8PM, you can run anytime. I can't wait to hand you a drink at 10.5!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Keep in mind that Fiscally Chic is a spam-free zone. Please leave your snarky comments, blatent self-promotion, and processed meats at home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...