Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Super (Bowl) Desserts

How's everyone doing out there? Snow-pocalypse is pummelling Chicago. We even had thundersnow (thunder and lightning during the blizzard)! That's what it looks like outside, from the comfort of my living room. Maybe I'll venture out later to take a few more pictures.


For now, we're going to discuss more important things. Baking.

This weekend is the Super Bowl. I'm not much of a football person and this year will be especially tough. It's Green Bay vs. Pittsburgh. I'm from Cleveland and there's a big rivalry between the Browns and Steelers. John is a big Bears fan, so he's obviously upset that the Packers made it to the Super Bowl. So I guess I'll be cheering for the commercials. And bringing something tasty to the party.

I'm still deciding what to make, but until then I'll share a little recap of what I've made the last three out of four years. Either I can't find pictures of the fourth year or I didn't make anything good.

2007


The Bears went to the Super Bowl! Obviously I needed to make something just for John. Rice Krispie treats in team colors. Just add food coloring when you're melting the marshmallows and butter. And the logo was made out of M&M's.

2008


Nothing in team colors. Just a yummy chocolate layer cake with Bailey's buttercream. The chocolate cake recipe was from Smitten Kitchen and the buttercream recipe was also from Smitten Kitchen.

2009

Hmmmm.....not sure about this year. Moving on.

2010


In 2010, I really hit my stride with baking. Once again, I didn't care too much for the teams (New Orleans vs. Indianapolis). But I did make some awesome cupcakes based on each cities culinary specialties. Banana foster for New Orleans. And a Midwest favorite, chocolate peanut butter, for Indianapolis. I also made peanut butter banana and chocolate with vanilla buttercream. I was especially proud of the logos. Melted chocolate piped on waxed paper.

Thoughts on 2011? I don't think cheese curds go very well with cupcakes. John requested banana foster cupcakes again. If nothing else, we have our latest homebrew to bring. Spiced winter ale (also known as Christmas Ale, but we're a little late for that).

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. beer cheese cupcakes with bacon cheddar cream cheese frosting?
    http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2008/01/beer-cheese-cupcakes-with-bacon-cheddar.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kati - Great idea! I've been toying with the idea of using beer, but hadn't checked it out yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you hit two birds with one stone - cheddar (WI) and cream cheese (PA?).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Keep in mind that Fiscally Chic is a spam-free zone. Please leave your snarky comments, blatent self-promotion, and processed meats at home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...