Friday, February 11, 2011

Twentysomething

This week has been interesting. A combination of highs, lows, and every gray area in between. Thank goodness John is so loving and patient.

And for some reason I've been on a Jamie Cullum kick. He's a British pop and jazz singer-songwriter. He plays original songs as well as covers. The covers are darn good. Check out his version of Rihanna's "Don't Stop the Music" and Radiohead's "High and Dry." I first heard him in 2006 on a PBS special. And I've been listening to a CD of his this whole week. On repeat. The song that really stuck with me this time around is "Twentysomething."


In this song he describes all the different options he has as a twentysomething trying to figure out his purpose in life. I'm totally there. Is it because I'm a perfectionist? Or because I'm a Millennial? I don't know. These are just thoughts circling around my head. My overly analytical mind is processing and reprocessing faster than I can type.

Another interesting discussion around the blogosphere was started by Crystal at Plush Palate. She asks how one defines success and failure. Jess chimed in and I'd like to share my response.

"Like Jess, I don’t think money is an indication of success. I have a job that pays pretty well, but it doesn’t fulfill my purpose (personally and professionally). Raising a family and having a purpose-filled job would be pretty darn successful to me. Being paid well to do what I love would be a nice bonus."

So here I am. I feel like I'm on the cusp of greatness, but there are a few things that are holding me back. Some are in my control, while others are a bit out of my hands.

Until I figure those things out, I think I'll take Jamie's advice:


I'll enjoy the roller coaster of life and I'll continue to be the best version of Cathy that I can be.
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Good post for a Friday...gives me something to think about over the weekend...as you know, I'm still trying to figure out my purpose too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are definitely not the only one trying to find your purpose - or at least how to live it out :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts - and that hot pink quote!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for responding so kindly to my comment on Crystal's post. I struggle with the same feelings — what am I supposed to be doing and how do I get there? It's a question that comes up daily but we're young and we're driven and it's all so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to check the video out when i get home, but I agree with your motto! It's hard not to constantly think about the next move in your 20's. However, it's important to also enjoy this special time in our lives, because it happens once and it goes by too fast!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Keep in mind that Fiscally Chic is a spam-free zone. Please leave your snarky comments, blatent self-promotion, and processed meats at home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...