Monday, February 13, 2012

Chocolate makes everything better

Hi there! How was your weekend? Other than a slight hiccup, the refi closing went smoothly. Plus, I started our taxes. I know, I live an exciting life :) Before I jump into mortgage madness, I want to share my Super Bowl desserts because it's better late than never.


I ended up baking desserts for both the Patriots and Giants. My Boston Cream pie cookies wound up being vanilla cake cookies with and without the ganache. I didn't particularly like the coconut cream filling from the original recipe, so I ditched it. Plus, making them into sandwich cookies seemed a little like overkill because the cookies were already a rich and dense. Even though, I made the cookies half as big as the recipe. But what do I know? Someone at the party ended up making these into sandwiches with a cheesecake ball!


Aforementioned cheesecake ball :)

These cheesecake balls were also a little tricky. You'll see that they didn't make it in cakepop form. I don't think the balls were firm chilled enough when I tried to dip them in chocolate. Plus, I used melted chocolate chips and a little cream instead of Bakerella's recommended chocolate candy melts. Therefore, it was a little too liquid-y.


Everything tasted great. They were just a little messy. Not that messy is a bad thing when it involves chocolate :) To dress up the cheesecake balls, I topped them with chopped white chocolate with blueberries.

Sacrificial cheesecake for the cheesecake balls

If chocolate cheesecake balls are a little too much to handle, how about my aunt's cheesecake recipe? If you want to make a cheesecake just for the cheesecake balls, skip making the graham cracker crust and sour cream topping. I made 2/3 of the recipe, which yielded 24 cheesecake balls.

Aunt Me's Cheesecake

Graham Cracker Crust

Ingredients
1/2 stick butter
1 2/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup sugar

Directions
Melt butter in 9x13 baking dish in 325* oven. Add graham cracker crumb and sugar. Mix and pat onto sides and bottom of the pan.

Cheesecake

Ingredients
3 8 oz. containers/packages of cream cheese.
1 cup sugar
5 large eggs
1 T vanilla

Directions
Cream the cream cheese and sugar. Add eggs one at a time. Add vanilla. Pour onto crust. Bake at 325* for approximately 25 minutes or until it doesn't wiggle.

Topping

Ingredients
1 pint sour cream
5 T sugar

Directions
Mix sour cream and sugar and pour over cheesecake. Bake at 375* for 5 minutes.



Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Those cheesecake balls look so good - thank you for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Keep in mind that Fiscally Chic is a spam-free zone. Please leave your snarky comments, blatent self-promotion, and processed meats at home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...