Thursday, April 4, 2013

Ham and Cheddar Cheese Strata

 
Phew! I finally feel like I've recovered from Easter weekend in Cleveland! Between the traveling, eating, socializing, eating, sleeping in a different bed, more eating, and being pregnant, I was feeling a little off kilter. Though it was totally worth it to spend time with my family and celebrate Easter together.

 
My Mom made this strata with Canadian bacon and cheddar cheese for brunch on Easter. I think the first (and maybe last) time I made strata was in college for a women's swim team brunch. I'd love to make it more often, but we don't usually have a big group at our house for breakfast or brunch on the weekends. And I don't trust myself with having such a large pan of goodness sitting around.

 
In addition to being in Cleveland for Easter, we also had our first baby shower! Which had me feeling a little emotional and anxious because we're now less than two months away from the due date and there's still so much to do! After our second baby shower, I anticipate going into full-fledged nesting mode.
 
Maybe I should make another strata to keep my strength up ;)

 
Ham and Cheddar Cheese Strata
 
Ingredients
6 slices Texas toast (or other thick bread)
2 cups cheddar cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 pound total of any combination of diced Canadian bacon, ham, or cooked bacon
6 eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 cup diced fresh onion (or 2 to 3 tablespoons dried onion)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
 
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350*.
 
Grease a 9x13 inch glass baking pan.
 
Place the bread at the bottom of the glass baking pan.
 
Layer with 1 cup cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, and the meat.
 
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, onion, salt, dill weed, dry mustard, and Worcestershire sauce.
 
Pour the egg mixture over the bread.
 
Top with the remaining cheese.
 
Bake for 45 - 55 minutes, or until the strata is puffed and set in the center. Let stand 5 - 10 minutes before cutting.
 
Note: The strata can be prepared the night before and baked in the morning. Simply prepare the whole dish, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate. You will probably have to increase the baking time.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Keep in mind that Fiscally Chic is a spam-free zone. Please leave your snarky comments, blatent self-promotion, and processed meats at home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...