Sunday, May 8, 2011

Laughing with the Angels

This Mother's Day weekend was bittersweet. I had a great time with friends and family. Went to Three Floyds Brewery, baked amazing champagne cupcakes, and did some yard work at the house.

I also learned on Saturday that my Grandma passed away. She was 95 years old and lived an incredible life. I have to believe I am who I am because of her. She loved to bake, did amazing things with a sewing machine, and worked at a brewery at one point. She had seven children, including my Mom. And even at 95 years of age, she was full of laughter and sass.


One of my favorite recent memories of my Grandma occurred at our wedding. First off, I was so excited she made the trip from Cleveland to St. Louis. The picture above was during our wedding ceremony, during the Sign of Peace.  Shortly afterwards, John and I prayed in front of the Virgin Mary, while the cantor sang "Ave Maria." While walking to the Blessed Mother, John stepped on my dress. We stumbled a little bit and my Grandma noticed since she was sitting near the front. And she proceeded to laugh. Now everytime I hear "Ave Maria," I think of our wedding and my Grandma's laughter.

Since Mother's Day was this Sunday, the choir sang "Ave Maria" during Mass. And I automatically thought of my Grandma and started to cry. John comforted me and reminded me that this time, my Grandma is laughing with the angels in Heaven.

My family is making the arrangements and we'll be driving to Cleveland this week. Therefore, I'm going to take a little time off from blogging to spend time with my family. If you could, please keep my Grandma and my family in your prayers.
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. My prayers are with you and your family. What a sweet post for your grandma. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss... your grandma sounds like a wonderful woman. I'll be sure to keep your family in my prayers this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers sent up for you and your family. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Keep in mind that Fiscally Chic is a spam-free zone. Please leave your snarky comments, blatent self-promotion, and processed meats at home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...