Monday, June 20, 2011

Blueberry Rhubarb Cobbler


And I'm back in the kitchen! After a short moving-imposed baking hiatus, I'm happy to say that desserts are back on the table. This blueberry rhubarb cobbler is the first "real" baked item in the new house. I made a frozen pizza a few weeks ago, but that didn't turn out very well. The oven started smoking and the smoke detector went off. After closer inspection, there were some unidentifiable black crusty things hidden underneath the grate in the oven, which caused it to smoke ...ooops. Now that we have a clean oven, I can bake all the cobblers and cakes I want!

Not pictured: baking powder
As I've said before, I'm a sucker for farmer's markets. I picked up the rhubarb the same day I bought the peonies. Strawberries are the typical first choice when using rhubarb, but there's no reason they should hold a monopoly on rhubarb. Blueberries pair just as nicely with the tart rhubarb. Plus, I already had a great recipe for peach and blueberry cobbler. Therefore, substituting rhubarb was an easy choice.

 

I also love the contrasting colors. Red strawberries and red rhubarb would look bland in comparison.



Blueberry Rhubarb Cobbler
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens: Peach-a-Berry Cobbler

Filling
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup cold water
  • 2 cups sliced fresh rhubarb
  • 2 cups fresh blueberries
  • 1 tablesppon butter
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For filling, in a medium saucepan stir together brown sugar and cornstarch; stir in water. Add rhubarb and blueberries. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Add the 1 tablespoon butter and the lemon juice; stir until butter melts. Pour into an ungreased 1-1/2-quart casserole. (I used an 8 x 8 inch Pyrex pan.)
While the filling is cooking, make the topping.
Topping
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 2 tablespoons coarse granulated sugar (or 1 tablespoon granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon brown sugar)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg or cinnamon (or both if you love spices like me!)
For topping, stir together flour, the 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and the baking powder. Add milk and the 1/4 cup butter all at once. Stir until smooth.


Spoon topping in mounds over hot filling; spread evenly over filling. Sprinkle with a mixture of the 2 tablespoons coarse sugar and the nutmeg and/or cinnamon.

Bake cobbler in a 350 degree F. oven about 35 minutes or until bubbly and a toothpick inserted into topper comes out clean. Serve warm with ice cream, if desired. Makes 6 servings.


Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the awesome recipe! I made it tonight with fresh rhubarb from my garden and the family devoured it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe! And I'm sure it tasted amazing with home-grown rhubarb!

      Delete

Thanks for your comment! Keep in mind that Fiscally Chic is a spam-free zone. Please leave your snarky comments, blatent self-promotion, and processed meats at home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...