Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Avocado Amor

avocado pear popsicles, grilled avocado with melted cheese, avocado mac and cheese,
fried guacamole, avocado ice cream, avocado and grilled corn salad
 
The other day, I was perusing my Foodie Love board on Pinterest for dinner ideas and noticed that I've saved lots of recipes that center around avocados. And even some avocado art. I guess that's bound to happen when you marry into a family that once held a guacamole throwdown.

As I touched on last week, I've encountered a little swelling in my feet during these last weeks of pregnancy. My fingers have also had sporadic swelling, but nothing in my face (phew!). When I brought this up to my doctor, she said this is normal (especially with the warmer weather) and then proceeded to give me a list of foods high in potassium to help treat swelling. When I think of potassium, I think of bananas. Surprisingly, bananas weren't the top item on the list. Guess what was?

Avocados.

1 cup of avocado contains 1,000 mg of potassium, while 1 large banana only contains 500 mg of potassium. The recommended potassium intake is 4,500 mg each day.

Looks like the doctor just prescribed a daily dose of guacamole....yessssss :)

What sort of recipes or foods are you currently loving? In addition to avocados, I'm always a sucker for a good dessert.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Keep in mind that Fiscally Chic is a spam-free zone. Please leave your snarky comments, blatent self-promotion, and processed meats at home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...