Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Curtain Call

Fellow MML contributor Byrn shared her introduction last week. She'll be writing about designing a home with intention and shared a very insightful quote from William Morris: "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful." In addition to following this principle, we're also trying to decorate the house with long-term purchases. That means many of our rooms will be half-finished or empty for a while.

Though I made an exception for bedroom curtains. The house didn’t come with any and we’re sick of being woken up during the middle of the night from thunderstorms.

So off to everyone's favorite Swedish superstore...Ikea! I wasn't sure if I would find anything for the bedroom, but I knew I wanted white curtains for the front room. I picked up a pair of Vivan white curtains and a Beskada curtain rod (83 - 152 in).



I love them! The front room is one step closer to finished.

Now for the bedroom. The tricky part is the windows wrap around a corner. And we have our bed underneath the windows. Oh, and did I mention we're not sure how we want to decorate the room? 


As luck would have it, I found something I loved at Ikea. The store carried some new styles of curtains that aren't online. They remind me a bit of Kate Spade.




I bought two pairs of Ninni Rund curtains and the Kvartal curtain track system (3 single track rails, 1 corner piece, 5 brackets, and 2 sets of gliders). The dots are shiny and seem to glow at night. We might go neutral in the bedroom with pops of color, so the texture of the dots will create some visual interest.


By the way, make sure you pick up the necessary hardware before trying to install your curtains. Ikea doesn't include screws or anchors with their curtain rods. They sell the hardware separately. I didn't realize that, so I had to make a quick trip to Home Depot.

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Cute! I still need some living room curtains... this is great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Melissa. It's looks great. The gallery is outstanding. I have never seen such kind of windows curtain and other stuff.

    curtain draperies

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you connect the gliders to the curtains? Do these curtains have gathering tape or did you use some other method? Thanks, Cara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cara! The curtains did have gathering tape on the back. I used the KVARTAL gliders and hooks, hooked them to the curtains, and then slid the gliders onto the curtain rod.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Keep in mind that Fiscally Chic is a spam-free zone. Please leave your snarky comments, blatent self-promotion, and processed meats at home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...