Monday, January 16, 2012

Spinach Balls

Growing up, I was that kid that enjoyed spinach. I could never understand why people didn't like it. Nana (my Dad's mom) would bring these to pretty much every holiday and I would gobble them up.


When it came time to decide what to bring to a Chicago blogger meet-up, I thought these would be perfect.


I knew there would be wine and sweets, so I wanted to counter that with something healthy. Don't worry, there's still cheese in them, so they're not toooo healthy!


Which is what Nana was all about. The healthy stuff. There would be spinach balls, chopped veggies, and other healthy appetizers at gatherings at her house. I also remember wrapping nutritional/brewer's yeast for her for Christmas one year. And she loved carrot cake.


I also think I got my love of pink from Nana :)


Thanks to Melissa for organizing the meet-up and to Jillian for hosting. It was great meeting all of you girls!

Jillian of Cornflake Dreams
Lesley of Six Twelve Place
Zoe of Style Foodie
Shari of The Daily Dish

Spinach Balls
Recipe from Nana.

Yield: 3 to 4 dozen spinach balls.

Ingredients
1 package frozen chopped spinach
1 1/2 cup herbed breadcrumbs or stuffing
1 small (12 oz) cottage cheese container
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 eggs
6 T olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onions

Directions
Preheat oven to 350*.

Microwave spinach to thaw, then strain.

Mix remaining ingredients together with the spinach.

Roll into balls.

Bake on buttered (or lined with parchment paper) cookie sheets for 10 to 15 minutes.

Cost Estimate
Frozen spinach - $1.50
Breadcrumbs - $0.75
Cottage cheese - $1.75
Parmesan cheese - $0.75
Eggs - $0.30
Olive oil - $0.50
Onion - $0.25
Total - $5.80

Linking to 33 Shades of Green: Tasty Tuesdays
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Aww, loved hearing more about Nana... and it was great to catch up this weekend. Glad we could all get together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like spinach dip in a ball — yum! Will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kind of would defeat the healthiness purpose but I bet they would be delicious fried. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for posting your recipe! it was great to meet you this weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sad I wasn't on that side of the counter. I really wanted to try one and once I made my over there I was stuffed. It was great meeting you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. the spinach balls were delish! so great to meet you too and thanks for the shout out! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Keep in mind that Fiscally Chic is a spam-free zone. Please leave your snarky comments, blatent self-promotion, and processed meats at home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...